The Core Four – four key updates from Oct 12-14
- Texas F Dylan Disu, a Vanderbilt transfer, has not yet practiced full-contact as he works his way back from February knee surgery. Disu started all 17 games he played last season for the Commodores, averaging 15.0 ppg and 9.2 rebounds.
- Xavier F Zach Freemantle was described as week to week and is in a walking boot. He was Xavier’s leading scorer and rebounder last season with 16.9 ppg and 8.9 rpg.
- Vanderbilt C Liam Robbins has been sidelined to this point with foot issues, but he is expected to ramp up his activity next week. Robbins, a Minnesota transfer, was the Golden Gophers second leading scorer last season averaging 11.7 points but only played in 23 of their 29 games as he dealt with foot issues near the end of the season.
- Butler got two pieces of good news, as Aaron Thompson (shoulder) and Christian David (knee) have both been fully cleared for the season. Thompson averaged 10.4 ppg last season and led the team with 4.7 assists, while David was limited to 1.8 ppg in eleven games.
Notable names in the transfer portal included Cashius McNeilly (Texas A&M, decommit from TCU), and Xavier Foster (Iowa State, dismissed from program).
Announcing transfer destinations were Justin Hemsley (Hawaii to Azusa Pacific), Vinnie Viana (Tennessee-Martin to Montevallo) and DJ Mitchell (FIU to Valdosta State).
(Injuries & Updates in the first section, Transfers down below.)
Injuries and Updates from Oct 12-14:
- Keyshawn Bryant, South Carolina – limited in practice Tuesday (knee)
- Christian David, Butler – has been fully cleared for the season (knee)
- Dylan Disu, Texas – has not yet practiced full-contact after February knee surgery, is optimistic to play in the opener but may still be working his way back
- Zach Freemantle, Xavier – in a walking boot, week to week
- AJ Griffin, Duke – Coach K shared that Griffin is off crutches (dislocated knee) but still has a lot of rehab in front of him (last weekend the timeline was shared to likely be 4-6 weeks)
- James Hampshire, UNLV – the Pacific transfer had his left arm in a sling at practice
- Dieonte Miles, Xavier – is practicing after knee issues last season
- Jack Nunge, Xavier – is practicing but is not yet full-contact (meniscus)
- Ohio State – Kyle Young and Justin Ahrens were both limited in practice Thursday, called a little banged up but not long term
- Liam Robbins, Vanderbilt – will begin ramping up basketball activities next week after being sidelined (foot)
- Aaron Thompson, Butler – has been fully cleared for the season (shoulder)
- Elijah Tucker, Xavier – the freshman forward will redshirt this season, is working his way back from an undisclosed illness
- Morris Udeze, Wichita State – did not scrimmage Tuesday (shoulder) as a precaution, should be available for Saturday scrummage
- Rashad Williams, Saint Louis – Oakland transfer received a waiver to play this season – 13.6 ppg, began career at Cleveland State
Transfer Updates from Oct 12-14:
- Xavier Foster, Iowa State – enters the portal after recent dismissal from the team – 4.0 ppg
- Justin Hemsley, Hawaii – transfers to Azusa Pacific – 3.8 ppg
- Cashius McNeilly, Texas A&M/TCU – announced a transfer to TCU but then decommitted in late August, is now back in the portal
- DJ Mitchell, FIU – transfers to Valdosta State – 4.6 ppg
- Vinnie Viana, Tennessee-Martin – transfers to Montevallo – 4.4 ppg
See For Yourself: